Ah, the new year. Time to refresh my Goodreads reading challenge!
Even though my blogging efforts are focused primarily on The ADHD Homestead, I plan to use this space for news, announcements, and fun stuff — like a review of the books I read last year.
While I fell short of my 30-book goal for 2014, I still feel good about completing 19 books, including some meaty non-fiction reads. As any nursing mother of a newborn can attest, I had lots of built-in reading time in 2013, so I sailed through 28 books. I had to learn how to make (and protect!) time for books in the year that followed.
For 2015, I’m challenging myself to a very manageable 20 books. Hopefully I exceed that goal. In the meantime, here’s a ranked list of my 2014 reading. I can’t claim too much precision, but I can promise that the top four or five books in each category are well worth your time.
What should I read this year? What were your favorites from last year?
- The Book Thief - Marcus Zusak
- Etched on Me - Jenn Crowell
- Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands — Chris Bohjalian
- Landline - Rainbow Rowell
- Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock - Matthew Quick
- Sudden Flash Youth: 65 Short-Short Stories
- The Painted Girls — Cathy Marie Buchanan
- The Kitchen House - Kathleen Grissom
- The Hundred-Foot Journey - Richard C. Morais
- Boys Like You - Juliana Stone
- Veronica Mars — The Thousand Dollar Tan Line - Rob Thomas
- The Newlyweds - Nell Freudenberger
- The Signature of All Things - Elizabeth Gilbert
- The End of Night - Paul Bogard
- Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East - Scott Anderson
- Difficult Conversations — Douglas Stone, Bruce Patton, & Sheila Heen
- Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion
- Create Your Writer Platform - Chuck Sambuchino
- Jo Frost’s Toddler Rules — Jo Frost